Thursday, March 24, 2011

Where to?

There are many places I want to go.  Some are goofy.  Some are mystical.  Some are a curiosity. Many come from settings in books. 

This won't be my first stop but is definitely on my list!  I learned about this place from a wonderful book I read.  It's called Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson.  I love Jackson's southern voice and sense of humor!  Rose Mae Lolley, the heroine of the book, finds a message from her mother spray painted on one of the cars at Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas.  Oddly enough, Rose Mae's mama ran away from home when Rose Mae was just a baby.  (I chose to run away when I turn 50 because I figure the folks who NEED me then can at least wait a month or two while I go off and see the world on my own!) 


I'll have to do a little more research on this place!  From the photos I've found, it appears to be about 10 Cadillac cars planted hood down.  They are buried up to their windshields, back tires raised high!  Visitors have spray painted messages of love, drawn pictures, posted graffiti...whatever inspired them.  Messages on the cars seem to be very short-lived.  You never know when the next message will cover the one written yesterday.

I think I'll choose a bright blue paint and add messages to my boys on one of the cars.  Maybe I'll wish them good grades.  Maybe I'll praise their efforts in life.  Maybe I'll wish them the love of their lives.  Maybe I'll confess my love for them forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment