Monday, March 21, 2011

The Back Story

About 10 years ago, I must have been about 35 at the time, I read a book that created my plan for my 50th birthday.  The book was The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg.  Nan, the main character, turned 50 and ran away from home.  I plan to do the same thing when I turn 50.  I have about 4 and a half years to plan and pack. Unlike her, I'm not leaving an unhappy life!


Of course, my husband thinks I've lost my mind!  But, as the mother of two boys, I have spent the last 20 years "going along."  When I suggest a quick stop at an antique store or yard sale, you should hear the whining coming from the back seat.  A suggestion that we park and walk along the river we're driving over is met with a rush to get home.  Let me strike up a conversation with a stranger and watch the huffing breath and eye rolling begin!  Tony prefers music from the 80's.  The boys like top forty.  I like country.  My favorite button on the radio dial rarely gets mashed!

Elizabeth Berg visited Quail Ridge Books several years ago.  I had her sign a copy of The Pull of the Moon and inscribe it, "It's all my fault!"  If you haven't read any of Elizabeth's books, you have to give her a try.  Her humor is fabulous.  She reminds me of a happy Jodi Picolt.  I plan to leave the inscribed book on Tony's pillow on August 10, 2015.

So, welcome along on my journey as I plan to run away from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment